Fast Facts About Killeen
Here’s what you should know about living in Killeen.
Population (2020): 153,095
- Austin: 1hr 5min
- Waco: 1hr
- Dallas: 2hrs 30min
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport: 1hr 10min
Median income (2020):
- Individual: $29,086
- Household: $50,335
Type of location: Sparse suburban
Why is Living in Killeen Nice?
The city of Killeen is a growing hub of the Killeen–Temple–Fort Hood Metropolitan Area. It’s located between Austin and Waco, making it out-of-the-way but not completely in the sticks. Killeen was also ranked #5 of the “Best Places to Live in Texas,” by U.S. News & World Report’s 2019.
Cost of living is relatively low in Killeen. It’s 13% lower than the national average and housing is quite affordable. The economy is largely driven by the military base Fort Hood. It’s just an afternoon’s drive from both Dallas and Austin. So, if you need to visit bigger cities, it’s not inconvenient.
What is Killeen Known For?
If you’re living in Killeen, chances are you have military connections. Fort Hood has its headquarters here and is the main reason most residents move in. Killeen is known as a military “boom town” because its growth is largely due to military families coming and going.
Even if you’re not stationed there as a service member, it’s a growing area that anyone can enjoy living in. As all of the Texas metroplex areas expand, Killeen will continue to be in the path of progress.
What Are the Best Restaurants in Killeen?
There are also a lot of good places to eat in Killeen. Here are some restaurants to check out with the highest-rated Google reviews:
- Bobby B’s Soul Food Kitchen & More has traditional soul food like BBQ, catfish, and chicken wings. It’s affordable and popular with the locals
- Tham Rab Thai Restaurant is a great place to get your favorite Asian dishes like Thai curries, stir-fry, noodle soups, and satay
- Little Italy Italian Family Restaurant has amazing pizza, pasta, and all the classic Italians food you might be craving
- Henderson’s Family Restaurant was established in the 90s and has been a local staple serving breakfast and southern comfort food since
- Hierba Fresca Restaurant is a Caribbean restaurant that serves amazing steak, corn fritters, yuca fries, empanadas and more